Imagine that you’re in front of an audience made up of your friends, family, and people from your community, about to present a 5-minute talk on the thing you’re most passionate about. You’ve brought 20 slides, which advance every 15 seconds whether you’re ready or not. You have a few last-minute butterflies, but off you go - and the crowd loves it.
Welcome to Ignite.
Ignite is a fast-paced geek event started by Brady Forrest, Technology Evangelist for O'Reilly Media, and Bre Pettis of Makerbot.com, formerly of MAKE Magazine. Speakers are given 20 slides, each shown for 15 seconds, giving each speaker 5 minutes of fame.
The first Ignite took place in Seattle in 2006, and since then the event has become an international phenomenon, with gatherings in Helsinki, Finland; Paris, France; New York; and many other locations. Conor Houghton, former TCD Maths researcher, helped bring Ignite to Science Gallery.
On the 22nd of June, we will be hosting an Ignite with a diverse and entertaining line-up that includes a selection of artists and practitioners from HACK THE CITY. Confirmed speakers so far include:
- Music from Carol Anne McGowan
- Catherine McGuinness from the Natural History Museum
- Designer, David Benque
- Aoife McLysaght
- Theatre maker, Dee Roycroft
- Darragh Doyle from World Irish
- Fiona Hallinan from Homestay
- Neuroscientist, Kevin Mitchell
- Microbiologist and comic, Maria Boyle
- Presentation skills demon, Rowan Manahan
- Samuel Bishop from Street Feast
- Architect, Sean Harrington
- Teresa Dillon, Lead Curator of Hack The City
- UX Designer, Kevin Sexton
- Superchef ClareAnne O'Keefe